Bronnie Ware is a former nurse who worked in palliative care in Australia. In her book The Top 5 Regrets of The Dying, she revealed what people who were about to die regretted the most:
- I wish I’d had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me;
- I wish I didn’t work so hard;
- I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends;
- I wish I’d had the courage to express my feelings;
- I wish that I had let myself be happier.
Bronnie Ware adds that living with so much regret and bitterness led to them developing illnesses, too: “Too many people suppressed their feelings in order to keep peace with others. As a result, they settled for a mediocre existence and never became who they were truly capable of becoming. Many developed illnesses relating to the bitterness and resentment they carried as a result.”
In most instances these regrets stem from the single decision to focus on materialistic pursuits: “I need to focus on my career and making money, and work hard to ‘get ahead and keep up with the Johnsons’, at the expense of love, family, friends, my purpose, and my own soul.”
Deep down we all know the ‘secrets’ to a life well lived. It starts by not doing the things that bring us massive regrets.
- Have the courage the be true to yourself, do what you love and go after your dreams!
- Don’t work so hard for the sake of materialistic objectives (mostly a lifestyle idea projected and ‘programmed’ into your mind by advertising and mainstream media)
- Stay in touch with your friends and build your community
- Express your feelings, express your creativity, express YOURSELF; be fully self-expressed!
- Allow yourself to be happy! Do more of the things that make you happy, and do less of the things that don’t make you happy!
You win the game of life by doing what most people are unwilling to do… Do what is easy, and life becomes hard. Do what is hard, and life becomes easy.
Here are my quickfire tips to “Winning The Game Of Life” and creating an awesome life:
- Learn to love and accept yourself completely; You are worthy of love. You are This is the fundamental first step to getting unstuck and having your life “take off”.
- Have total CLARITY about what you want. That is how your life gets to “take off”. Write down your goals and Life Vision.
- Know exactly what you want, and focus only on what you want.
- Be grateful, no matter what happens; know that everything that happens serves you in some way. Write in a ‘gratitude journal’ or remind yourself of what you are grateful for at the end of each day. To those who are grateful, more is given.
- Meditate daily.
- Take care of your body and your health; exercise and stretch, daily.
- Demonstrate Integrity in everything you do.
- Live a life where you are true to yourself. Follow your heart. Do what you love!
- Live your life from a place of LOVE, rather than a place of Fear and Ego… Show love and compassion for others. Giving is the path to happiness.
- At the critical juncture in all human relationships, there is only one question: “What would LOVE do now?” No other question is relevant, no other question is meaningful, no other question has any importance to your soul.
- Take full responsibility for your thoughts, choices, actions, and your Life. You are the creator of your reality. If you don’t like what you’ve manifested so far, create something else.
- Allow yourself to be happy. Once a week, or at least once a month, do something you really enjoy.
- Express your true feelings. Be fully self-expressed creatively.
- Let go of guilt and regret about the past. Let go of fear.
- Don’t watch TV and don’t read the news. It is negative, violent, and detracts your focus from what you want. It’s mostly lies anyway!
- Don’t work so hard.
- Stay in touch with your friends.
- Be in the now; appreciate every moment and savour the gift that is Life. 🙂
LIVE FEARLESSLY and with PASSION!
* * * * * * * * * * *